by Jill Stein
Call to action to stand with Standing Rock!
We deplore the brutal attack against the Standing Rock water protectors that began Sunday night, as the water protectors attempted to clear disabled vehicles blocking a bridge leading to their encampment. Over 160 water protectors have been injured from a vicious assault by DAPL security using water cannons in subfreezing weather, rubber bullets, concussion grenades, sound cannon, tear gas and mace.
It is appalling that even before Donald Trump takes office, this violent repression is already ongoing. Indigenous people were the first group to be brutalized and oppressed when the first European settlers came to American shores. Now they are at the frontlines of an increasingly protofascist nation.
Standing Rock is a microcosm of the crisis we face, where the violation of human rights, water, land, climate and democracy are converging.
President Obama stated he wanted to stand back and see what happens. Now he has seen what happens. It’s time for the Army Corp of Engineers to definitively deny the permit the Dakota Access Pipeline needs to drill beneath the Missouri River. It’s time to stop this assault on humanity and Mother Earth for once and for all.
Ajamu Baraka and I will be visiting Standing Rock in early December to face the charges filed against us for peaceful civil disobedience in support of the water protectors. We will also be there to support the ongoing struggle. Ajamu and I invite President Obama to join us, and to see for himself what this struggle for land, water, indigenous rights, human rights, mother earth and democracy looks like.
This is the time for all of us, including the President of the United States, to do the right thing – no matter how you voted, no matter what party you might or might not identify with. The fate of all of us is on the line right now.
We urge all people of conscience to take urgent action by speaking out, donating, and supporting the camp, as suggested by the water protectors:
– Donate to the camp medic & healer council: https://medichealercouncil.com/donate/
– Donate medical supplies by ordering online through their list – the link is listed in this post: https://amzn.com/w/284OV04OWXQG9
– Donate to the Oceti Sakowin camp and help them thru the winter: http://www.ocetisakowincamp.org/donate
– Call North Dakota governor Jack Dalrymple at 701-328-2200 and give him a piece of your mind
– Call the Morton County Sherriff’s department at 701-328-8118 & 701-667-3330 and the North Dakota National Guard at 701-333-2000 and tell them to stand down
– Call the White House at (202) 456-1111 or (202) 456-1414. Tell President Obama to rescind the Army Corps of Engineers’ Permit for the Dakota Access Pipeline.
– Call the executives of the companies that are building the pipeline: Lee Hanse Executive Vice President Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. (210) 403-6455 ; Glenn Emery Vice President Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. (210) 403-6762 ; Michael (Cliff) Waters Lead Analyst Energy Transfer Partners, L.P. (713) 989-2404
– Call the Army Corps of Engineers and demand that they reverse the permit: (202) 761-5903
– Contact The 17 Banks Funding The Pipeline, and withdraw your money: http://www.commondreams.org/…/how-contact-17-banks-funding-…