Resources for WATER:
Conservation, Solutions, History, Raindance, Politics, Spirituality and Films…
by Bob Banner
Over 3,000 hits so far!! keep spreading the word…
LATEST ARTICLEs :
COWSPIRACY states a plan of action over Gov Browns recent declaration:
DEMOCRACY NOW (AMY GOODMAN) INTERVIEWS THE DIRECTORS OF COWSPIRACY ABOUT WATER:
ANOTHER WAY TO SEE HOW MUCH WATER IT TAKES TO GROW VARIOUS VEGGIES AND MEATS, ETC.:
REFERENCES FROM THE COWSPIRACY FILM:
BOTTLING WATER WITHOUT SCRUTINY:
California’s About to Run Out of Water. We Have to Act Now (3/23/15) :
NYT coverage of how we use water in CA (4/3/2015):
São Paulo – anatomy of a failing megacity:
residents struggle as water taps run dry (2/25/15)
The related facebook page on WATER:
Water Gandhi wins award for his innovative water solution:
Walmark sources its bottled water from the city of Sacramento
Please click to see where the WATER FiLMs are screening in SLO county:
Also, see the Facebook Group Page from where you can see all of this plus read and add new comments: https://www.facebook.com/groups/677697568953629/
After talking with some people about water conservation, rain dancing, etc… I thought Id put together a list of ideas as well as resources for people to watch, read, and start practicing.
You’ve heard these practices before.. and now its time to bring them all out again…
yes… simple personal things like …
• not flushing so often,
• holding off on washing your car(s),
• reducing the amount of showers,
• closing down the hot tub,
• reducing water use for washing dishes, washing clothes,
• turning water off while brushing your teeth
• basically have more consciousness around WATER..
1. Watch films on water, learn more about the mystery, power, the politics and the spirituality of water…
2. Time for more sustainable gardening practices, like mulching and watering in the evening (rather than in the day)
3. Water catchment from the rain (if and when it comes)
4. Sit still and feel gratitude for the mystery of water and its preciousness
5. Increase your/our consciousness around water
6. Appreciate the mystery of water and not just see it as a practical functional resource.
7. And that we in the US, especially in CA, dont need to be having bottles of water chained to our belts drinking non stop. Please see the video (*) with Sadguru/Ed Begley Jr. below.
________just adding this as of July 25, 2014___________________:
<<also, a way to conserve is to stop eating meat. check out these 2 video clips:
COWSPIRACY trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdZxwRPE0ZI
ANIMALS SHOULD BE OFF THE MENU (10min):
and a new list of 40 references and resources for the info in the new film COWSPIRACY:
The following is a brief list of short video clips, trailers about important films and articles that speak to the politics, the spirituality, the rain dance, the need for conservation, solutions as well as some history.
Please spread this list around, edit it, add to it, subtract from it….
Do your part, and then spread the news to your friends, organizations, clubs, social media,
societies, universities, fraternities/sororities, churches, yoga studios, healing centers…
New comments and sources are being added daily in the Comment/Resource Section at the end of this piece….
WATER CONSERVATION AT HOME (3min)
TAKE THIS TEST to see how much water you think is needed for various products like a burger, coffee, a tshirt, corn, steel, etc:
HOME WATER CATCHMENT SYSTEM (9min):
Winners of the 2013 WATER CONSERVATION film contest:
URBAN WATER HARVESTING SYSTEM with Brad Lancaster (35min):
WATER CATCHMENT practices:
SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURAL PRACTICES: CA: Resources
SPIRITUAL WATER films:
WATER HAS MEMORY (3min):
WATER: THE GREAT MYSTERY
will be showing it in February, stay tuned…
EMOTO AND CONSCIOUSNESS OF WATER (3min):
*REVERENCE OF WATER (8min) Ed Begley Jr interviews Sadguru (please pay special attention to his advice on the US’s obsessive need for our personal water consumption)
POLITICAL WATER DOCUMENTARIES:
List of the really superb political films around WATER:
Blue Gold, Flow, Gasland, Liquid Assets, Tapped, The Water Front
Annie Leonard’s THE STORY OF BOTTLED WATER :
Q&A With Author David Sedlak on the Future of Clean Water
HOLLYWOOD WATER MOVIES:
top ten: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/movies/articles/20110826water-movies-jaws-abyss-pirates-caribbean-titanic.html?page=1
REVIEWER goes through a list of MOVIES that include water issues:
GLOBAL WATER MOVIES:
EVEN THE RAIN: (the connection between gold and water resources in Bolivia where Bechtel wanted to triple the water rates and was planning on taxing “even the rain” that people “caught” from their roofs… but the people revolted…
will screen this film in February…
Native American Rain Dance (photos and music; 8min):
A rain dance of all dance tribes in CA Sunday, Feb 2.
the slingshot (premiering in SLO on July 25th.. see calendar!)
THE SLINGSHOT method to clean any “bad” water for less than $2,000 a kit:
How to Get Fresh Water out of thin air:
CALIFORNIA WATER WARS
805 762 4848
I do most of my work for free, my gifts to the community. I do get some monies when a FiLM becomes “successful”… if you wish to donate, contribute to this post,
please visit: https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/dbjod/ab/5sXPf
1. From : [email protected] :
to your list, also “1000 Suns” (https://www.globalonenessproject.org/library/films/thousand-suns), which is about living in harmony with a very dry natural ecology, very spiritual & practical. We Americans are so used to tap water and lots of it at hand.
We are having a town hall meeting on water use Sunday. Willits is now at Stage 5 mandatory conservation, 150 gal/day per household. Only 100 days of water left in our reservoir. Thank goodness I live with the original Water Nazi…RJ has us stepped down to much less than 50gal/day. We are bucketing & tubbing reused water all over the house & garden. I am designing a “Water Saving Game” for families. Still looking for even more videos on saving water for us to share. How can we make it fun or interesting for folks to think of this very essential change in habits? Continue the conversation on conservation! Pray and dance for water under the moon!>>
3. Santa Barbara joins the state of emergency: HERE
4. A rain dance of all dance tribes (and everyone) in CA Sunday, Feb 2.
5. From Mark Stringer : “http://www.mercurynews.com/science/ci_24933924/california-drought-emergency-declared-by-gov-jerry-brown The estimate is that agriculture uses about 80% of the water in California on an annual basis. This of course is just conventional media source. Other manufacturing enterprises use far much more water that reported or “metered” … Oil drilling uses MEGA amounts of water that has no accounting. I’ve read estimates that 40% of the electricity used in California annually is used to move water from one place to the other, and in the process of moving it using open air aqueducts … at least 20% of that water is lost through evaporation from source to destination. There are solutions, but applying these solutions on a large scale will require a public interest effort that will involve legal representation, legislation, judicial review, and big money. Civil society is at a distinct disadvantage. Water rights are being privatized at an alarming rate, while while corporate interests are being given more and more legislative and judicial free passes.”
6. Fracking and Water: http://act.350.org/letter/California-Fracking-Comments?source=fb-AK
7. From Barbara Hirsch (EcoFacts V.9 n.3 Down the Drain:
<<Yes, usually, the water we drink two thirds of us anyway, has been fairly scrubbed clean, still containing minerals, some chlorine and fluoride and traces of other things. All the rest of that water we use in our showers, sinks, toilets and washers goes down the drain and to wastewater treatment plants before being released into our rivers, lakes, and oceans.
8. Water for People: https://www.youtube.com/user/waterforpeople2
(By Mia Madrid. As part of her college internship with Water For People, Mia created this video, and all of the narration and artwork, explaining Water For People’s Everyone Forever goals in 30 districts and municipalities throughout the world.)
9. Permaculture Solutions for Water Needs (a podcast with Paul Wheaton):
10. Not in CA but in the appalachian area where chemicals are killing the water:
11. Slow the Flow, 30min video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJsBcgLne1k
12. For a very comprehensive site that deal with earth solutions, permaculture, etc is THE WATER INSTITUTE: http://www.oaec.org/water-institute
13. My friend, Richard Smith, from Atascadero, CA developed this system of celebrating waste, cleaning water, composting, etc. Details and Video are here: http://www.celebratewaste.org/
14. A recent film produced by the same people who created FOOD, INC.. about WATER: LAST CALL AT THE OASIS: Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLE3i92LkQk
The film will be shown Feb 8th in Atascadero (http://www.hopedance.org/events/icalrepeat.detail/2014/02/08/526). See the HopeDance calendar (http://www.hopedance.org/events/) for more screenings of this powerful film as well as others we are rounding up right now!
15. For more information on conservation efforts, visit www.waterwisesb.org or www.saveourh20.org. You can also find current and historic rainfall and reservoir conditions at santabarbara.onerain.com.
16. California’s Drought — Who’s Really Using all the Water?
17. Fracking is depleting water supplies in America’s driest areas, report shows…
18. <<I’ve been working with water conservation for 4 years now in myriad ways… One way I help with this is to encourage people to utilize a Multipure filter (or drinking water system, as they call them). It can hook up to the faucet, or come up through a hole from under the sink… Do you have some kind of water filter? …. Multipure is 43 years old, and continues made in the USA… –Las Vegas… and out of 8,000 brands, MP holds the top 12 positions –as it makes the filters for the top 12 brands…
19. Calif. governor will withhold water from local farms this spring due to severe drought